
William Shakespeare's plays are notorious for bringing up realistic themes that each of us can relate to in everyday life. Many popular themes include all of the human emotions, but also that of death. Although none of us have experienced our own death, maybe we have attended a funeral at some point in our life. For those who have never attended a funeral, though, it doesn't change the fact that we all know that death will come to us at some point. Does love also visit each of us in our lives? If not, do people not yearn for that feeling of unconditional acceptance? Are taxes more likely to enter our lives than love? Why? Do we have control over who we fall in love with? Or do we have more control over deciding who we will be with when we do fall in love?
Many authors find ways to ask questions like these and answer them through relationships between characters. In A Midsummer Night's Dream and in Romeo and Juliet we find a common theme of relationships between teenagers and their parents. Questions arise like: should children be completely obedient to the desires of parents? Should parents be able to choose friends, classes, and activities for teenagers? In our society, teenagers really don't have much choice over their decisions because our society believes that parents, who have more life experiences and have the wisdom to make the right decisions. Also, teenagers don't have the money to buy a lot of the privileges that teenagers enjoy. Should parents be required to provide food, clothing and shelter only for their children? Many cops think so. Most cops think that if parents give teenagers anything else, the kids are spoiled.
What do you think about all of this? What themes are most impressive in your mind as you read this? Write a full paragraph about what you think about one of these issues and remember to publish it to this post.
63 comments:
I think these themes are good but the one about how the parent should or should not provide food or clothing. That is crap they should provide food and clothing until we get a job or we move out then we will provide for ourselfs.
I think blogs are good but parents should provide for their kids because it is their responsilbity. If parents can't provide for their kids maybe they need to give them up for adoption so that they will have parents that provide for them. If kids had to provide for themselfs I think that there would be alot of kids homeless because they don't know how to manage their money to pay rent. Parents should provide for their kids.
Shakespeare's play were very deep.
I really like the comedies because, i like it when someone or some thing makes me laugh my head off. I am not very intrested in all those sad and tragic stories. I dont really care for the history ones , but i want some thing that intrests me .
Shakespeare was a very smart person.Was known all over euro and then became one of the most known write of all times. That is why i think he his smart.
I think teenagers should deceid for them selves. Though with that said they need to some what provide for themselves, even at a young age. But parents should not have total control over there children, they should have some. Over all it should be balance where kids get to deceid but also the parents
The most impressive theme to me is teenagers and parents. I think that parents shouldn't be required to buy their teenager there clothing because they should have a job to help pay for there stuff.
i think parents should have control, but not to much. like buying things for us that are needed items. clothes, food, shelter are all needed items. when parents try to go over control their kids the kids start to dislike the parents.
Most people will find there true love and some will not even try and live lonely and miserable. Then the people who have true love will be happy for as long as they live. But if some things happen then maybe not. Sometimes kids are not spoiled and just need entertainment once in a while. So my conclusion is kids sometimes are not spoiled and some are and most people will find there love.
I think parents should provide their children with shelter, food and clothing. It is the parents responsiblity to do this. But the parents shouldn't have to pay for everything that their children want. If kids want to buy an ice cream or some expansive jeans, they should pay for it. Parents should pay for the basic things that their children need but they shouldn't have to pay for everything.
I think teenagers should have their choice in love, but maybe not in life so much. Parents are more wise and have lived longer, so they know more about other things. But love they should know not to interfere with so much. I think you cannot control who you love, but I do believe that I control who it is that I will be with when I fall in love.
I think that there are many problems with people thinking that your kids are spoiled. But I think that parents should provide a home, and food for their kids. Parents shouldnt have to pay and stress over all there kids needs. Some people may think that when parents buy their kids ipods or phones they are spoiling them. But some parents go way to far with the spoling their kids. Parents should atleast provide thier kids with the basic needs.
I belive that children should obey their parents as long as it does not conflict too much with their own consous.
I belive that parents should have influence with our lives but not have complete control on what we do, see, and who we are with.
I think they should provide essentials for life, but also a way for them to earn more then that, the key word being earn.
Should parents be able to choose their kids friends? I don't think so.
Kids should have the freedom to hang out with whom ever the want to.
i think that shakespear was a good writer and he wrote allot of good stuff but about the teenagers thing i think teenagers should have more privleges and should be able to make most of there disision on there own. like i think when ur around 15 you know whats going on and you know about stuff and how to make your own desicions.
Well i think that teenagers "should" be able to choose for them selfs! Because if they dont start choosing for them selfs there going to want to depend on there parents all the time. Thats why they should start giving them more freedom, so they can see how the "real world" is. So i think that parents shouldn't do all the descions for there kids.
i think kids should be given shelter food cloths that doesnt mean there spolid
I think that uit is good but mostly that it talks about how you contral yor life and who you will fall in love with because no picks for you only you pick for your self and no one else just you..
I think that parents shouldn't be giving their kids everything they want. Because they will become spoiled. Also it's not fare for our parents to choose who we date or who we are friends with. cops are right alot of people get spoiled if they get what they want and it is not right.!
It is true that it relates to us. But at lest life isn't alway a Tragity or a Comedy. They may be the most impersive but if life was like Romeo and Juliet our parenet would alway tell us to do everything even when we're 21 they would keep telling us what to do and it just be horible. It just a Tragity that keeps going, going, and going it be a very funny Comedy because some people will keep living with there parent and it would also be a Tragity because they will start killing there parent it would be that horible.
What was coming in my mind while reading this passage was all of our parents relate in away and all of us teenagers relate in away as well and also, kinds parents don't really have the choice to pick where are lifes go that for us to decied not for them if we want a good high paying job and a nice decent place to live then that sorta where are parents come in but for those who don't care about their life or anything than thats what they want, so of the themes that i found in this passage was hate, stuborness,anyonence, confusion, love and some other things as well but the issue is controling parents like is said our parents cant choose our feature for us they can only sit back and help for what we need for the future.
Teenagers today have the right to choose what they want. Although its a parents leagle right to make some chocies for them. Some teenagers think this is unfair, after all it is their life. Things have not changed since shakespear, the famouse book writer who wrote Romeo And Juliet and A Midsummer Nights Dream. In the story A Midsummer Nights Dream Hermia wants to marry Lysander but her father does not appove, and wants Hermia to marry Demetrius. But Hermia does not want Demertrius. In a way we are much like all the characters. I think thats why Shakespeare is so famous, because he's work has been known for thousands of years and will be known for a thousad more!
Shakespear has written some plays that are related to many things that are still around today. He has done many play that are a little exagerated, but can still mean something today. I do not enjoy his plays but he is still popular.
i think teenagers should be able to choose there friends and there classes and what they wear the learn from there mistakes and when the lined is crossed then you fix them tell them about what would be the best idea new friends new close and how they act but yet parents still are the bosses of them and they still need to listen to there parents
Teenagers in this day and age have several things we should always be grateful for, a house to live in, food to eat, and the fact that we all have a family that love us. Some people say that teenagers don't have much of a choice because of our society, they say parents who are more wealthy, have more experience to know how to make the right decision. Teenagers also don't have the money to go but the items they enjoy. Are teenagers that are provided with the electronics, or anything els they can live without, called spoiled? What do you think about our society and how it affects the choices we make?
I think that parents should take care of us and make sure we are provided with food, shelter, and clothing. They should also be suggestive to what we might choose for classes, friends, and activities, but the final decision should be up to the teenagers. If things get too out of control, the parents can take charge, but other than that, the parents should let the teenagers have some independence.
I've been to a few funerals. It makes you feel really sad. Everyone at some point needs to feel love from somebody. Maybe getting married is not for everyone, but somewhere in their childhood they need to feel loved. About the parents giving kids only a bed, food, and a roof over their head, I think they should give a little more. You don't want kids to get spoiled, but you also want to love them and make them happy. How would you want to only look forward to a bed and home every day and nothing else? That would be pretty depressing. There needs to be fun things in life, even if they are small.
I think that teenagers should have a say about what they want to do, but parents shold be in charge. On big decisions kids should listen to their parents advice, but still make their own choices. Parents should give what they can to their kids, and if the kids are spioled then too bad.
i think that teenagers should choose their friends and activities, but maybe their parents could choose their classes, or not. parents should provide food and clothing and shelter for their kids, and buy other things for them too because the parents wants their kids to be happy. parents should always have the choice if they want their kid to marry someone or not, and at the right age. parents should have some control over what time their kids come home, and the kids should tell the parents what they are going to be doing.
I have been to funerals before. Both of them were people close to me so the feeling of being there is depressing. Everyone want to feel like they are accepted by someone even if it is just a friend. I think that parents can help teenages decide what friends, activites, etc. Parents also need to support their kids by giving them food and a place to live. I think they should give them more because there your kids and you love them.
Some teenagers feel as if they do not have enough free time to do what they want, as if they are being held to their house. The reality of it all is that we do have a lot of free time but we always want more. So the theme of this all is that we only need food, shelter, and clothing, but our parents love us enough to want to give us all that they can so that we are happy and having a full life.
Many parents choose a lot of things for their children. Teenagers should be able to choose most of the things about their lives, but parents will probably need to say something here and there. I also think that the assumpsion that a kid is spoiled if they get more than just clothing, shelter, and food is not true. It won't hurt if parents get more than that every once and a while. The themes that I think of are that teenagers need to have help with what they choose in their life, but not have it controlled. Another theme is that kids do not need much more than what is nessacary, but it is fine to get something more every once and a while.
The Globe Theater. I remember that in the globe theater because that is where most plays and that is a bummer that the person had to die in the play and why can he fake it and it will be happy ever after, but life is not like that because people have to die for a reason and being in a play and died in the play is a reason to die...for entertanment that is.
Personally I do think that parents should support their kids until they are old enough to be on their own. If parents want to help out other families and their kids then that is their choice. Kids should be able to pick out their own style, friends, sports etc. Teenagers want at least some freedom, slavery is over.(: They shouldn't be like Egeus and choose whom may love, it's our feelings not theirs !
I see all of this today. Jealousy, death, and parents telling their kids what to do.
Each have positive and negative, ecspecially parent. Some kids get along perfectly with their parents, but others down right hate each other. Teens are becoming adults, but they don't get the same privilages as adults. They are still being bossed around by their parents. But parents should be able to boss their kids, since they provide for them. Buying their clothes,food, and shelter. Teens deserve some freedom, but they also need someone to help.
I think that the falling in love is kind of a thing that happens in life. Also the chose of what they what to do. And its all up to you what you want to do.
I think love will come to all of us and it is less likly to pay taxes.Most of us probably have been to a funeral. Love is less likly to happen because you have to try for that taxes you have just for buying somthing and having to pay for it little bits at a time.And yes we have control over who we fall in love with because we dont have a father to boss us around any more and to threaten you with death. I think parents should not be able to choose our friends and our classes or our activities.
Teenagers should have some freedom cause they can choose what friends they want to be with what classes they want to take in school and who they have a crush on. Sometimes teenagers make the good decission but other times they dont like they wanted to take geomtry cause it sounded easy but it is acutally hard and fail the class. There friends and make them break into a place do drugs or drink because their friend said its cool or that everybody else does it. Your parents have more experiance and knows how hard the classes are cause they had the same class and if yoour friends
I can't really relate to the love portion of the post. But I get that the parents supplying food and supplies part of it. I don't personally think that parents should get to pick and choose friends, classes, and our activities. Of course they may put in their opinion on the matter. But it wouldn't be fair for them to control pretty much our every move. I think we should listen to them and their coucil but we shouldn't let them control our lives. I think they also should be required to provide our necessities. Kids aren't spoiled if they have other things like luxuries. If they have many of them them maybe. But it's okay to have some things that aren't required for daily living. That doesn't mean were spoiled.
Well, for the teenager topic, teenagers should be obdient to their parents but not completly. Because if their parents decision is'nt very fair or logical they should'nt have to obey that decision, for example say your parents told you can't hang-out with a friend because of his toe nail. But if the parent is making a good choice to benifit your well being then I think you should obey your parents decision.
i think the idea of parents choosing teenagers classes is unfair. the reason it is unfair is because the teenagers don't have no say in what they want. its also unfair because the parents get to choose what the teenagers get to go in. cause isn't it supose to be the teenagers chose to go in to what they want not the parents.
I really like Shakespeare's plays especially the comedy even though it's kind of hard to know which are which because it could seem like it's romance or tradjity, but it could actually be humor or something else.
I think that teenagers should choose their friends and activities, but maybe their parents could choose their classes, or not. parents should provide food and clothing and shelter for their kids, and buy other things for them too because the parents wants their kids to be happy. parents should always have the choice if they want their kid to marry someone or not, and at the right age. parents should have some control over what time their kids come home, and the kids should tell the parents what they are going to be doing.
I think that guardians should know whats going on in their kids life and should be able to control where their money is going. But I do not think that they should be able to pick and choose whom we love and talk to that part of are lives they really should just butt out of, unless the person who we are talking to are harming us in some way. Teenagers are perfectly capable of running their own social life but we could still use the support of are guardians. Just they shouldnt be an over kill.
I don't think that parents should control what there children should be friends with. I think kids should choose what classes and activities they do. The parents can control what they can do like go to a party or not, but not when they choose friends.
think that parents should know whats going on in their kids life and should be able to control where their money is going and i thing teenagers should pick there friends and activities.
I think that teens should be able to pick thier own classes and who to be with after all it is their life they do what they want do do with it!!:D
I really like Shakespeare play because I think the plays are different then what are today and my favorite is comedy even through some I don't even know what there are. But i really like Shakespeare
I dont think that parents should control what there children should be friends with I think kids should do what they want to and chose what friends they want.
I think that parents should provide there kids with food, shelter, and clothing. but i dont think that if you give you kids more than that then you spoiled. I think that if your children work hard for it then they diserve it. Spoiled to me means that you go around bragging about everything that you have and that you think that your so much better then everybody else.
I think that having parents decid everything for you is really stupid. If theydecid every thing for us then we cant learn fro are mistakes and it would make it harder when we become an adult.
haveing them decid all youur freinds is by far dumeist idea in history and if you say no becas there just trying to keep you safe thats the bigist load of S*** in the world
I think that teenagers should have more freedom and be able to make their own decisions. If parents didn't provide food then we would have to work to get it for our selves. About love I believe that the right person will come into your life in the right time, or sometimes you just choose who you want to be with.
I don't think that parents should control everything we do. I think kids can do what ever they want. And the parents cant control what the kids do. And I think they should not choose there friends. Because you can have who ever you want its your life so you can have what ever friends you want. So that's what i think about that
I think parents should provide food,clothing and a shelter for their kids because as parents its their responsibility, but when they give to much freedom or dont care then their child will rebel and not be a good kid like the parents would want them to be so thats where I think parents come in and should take more control.
Parents should not control all of our actions. If they do that it's like we're caged in. No freedom no nothing. That would be horriable. The parentals should trust and give us chances to do things. Like we can go hang out with friends, not check everything we do. WE ARE ONLY TEENAGERS ONCE! Seriously, we desirve a "life". There should be rules like standards, but we need our space. So I think parents should back off a bit.
Well i think it is cool how shakespear can relate to any time in our life. And i belive that kids are becomeing more spoiled every day they get what they want and dont work for it, its like theier parents are spoon feeding them thier life, haha good luck trying to get them to move out! Along with that is the fact that kids are not leaving the house anymore although they feel connected to their friends through facebook and other online things the connection isn't real but more artifical. I think that teens and adults need to rethink the way things are happening.
I think that teenagers should have the choice to make thier own desicions. Parents shouldn't take over thier child's life.. If us teenagers don't take over thier life then they shouldn't have the right to take over ours, you get me?
-Crystal Gamino
7th Period B-day.
I think that parents shouldn't have the right to choose who they want their kids' to be friends with or what activities they like; but they do have the right to tell their kids from whats right and whats wrong and to tell them when ever they do wrong. I think Shakespear kind of wanted people to realize that they can't change the way their kid is or make the kid listen and obey all the time and that they can't have complete control over their kid. Everyone is different.
i think teenagers should do some stuff want. they want to do it like that saying you learn form you mistakes but you should also very much lissone to your parents. like what you were you should be your self but your parents are still in charge and yes you should be able to pick your friends but if you parent says not a good idea then don't. they do the stuff they do cause they love you and they want to protect you
I think these themes are good but parents brought heir kids into this world so i think they should at least provide for them until they are 18
I think that teen should get to do what they want just not to much. And I also think they shouldn't do bad things they could have a boy/girl freind. Just they need to watch what they do and say. And parents should be strick and teens should go to college. so teens should be good to there parents and friends.
I think that love does come to everyone at some point in our lives if we want it to or not? taxes is a big part of life right now but it being more than love makes me kinda think about that cause everyone experiences love sometime or other and everyone worries about taxes but i think that love is way stronger in every way. I think yes we do have control over who we fall in love with and what kinda person we would want to be cause when you fall in love you always in a way make sure its the right person ans what kinda standards you have when you do fall in love just to make sure they're the one.
Personally, I would hate it if my parents chose everything for me! Most kids don't want to be like their parents, a lot of them are different from their parents. I think if parents don't want to take ocare of their own children, they shouldn't have the privelage to have them. Kids should make their own decisions on who or what they do.
Post a Comment